Re: [IP] Smoking & glucose levels

> While reading up on the evils of smoking (trying the old scare tactics on
>myself) I found this interesting bit of information in an excerpt from
>"Staying Healthy with Nutrition" by Elson M. Haas MD
>  "The "up" feeling that smoking produces is likely correlated with the
>increased blood pressure and heart rate, as well as the production of fatty
>acids, steroids and possibly other hormones or neurotransmitters. Nicotine
>mimics acetylcholine, which then improves alertness, memory, and learning
>capacity. Other neurotransmitter stimulation of norepinephrine and endorphins
>by nicotine may help balance moods and increase energy. The liver's increase
>in glycogen release gives a satisfying lift in the blood sugar. "
>    Has anyone heard of this?

I have heard for many years that reason cigarette smokers crave sweets so
badly after quiting or just plain dive into food is only partially habit
and stress related.  A major component of this is that nicotines does
indeed increase bg level.  Hence the need for extra food and high carbs.

I have also heard that - no it's a fact that - the reason most depressed
people smoke and most smokers are depressed is that nicotine is a form of
self-treatment for this condition.  Nicotine does indeed level out moods
and is the only drug known to man which is both a stimulant and a

Now, smoking is bad for the lungs and can increase risks for cardio disease
and cancer etc etc but nicotine in itself is a drug and does have benefits.
It's the individual who has to decide what's best for them.  All this is
part of the puzzel as to why smokers have such a hard time quiting when
they know it's overall bad for their health.

One thing is for certain.  Cigarettes contrain more than just "nicotine".
nicotine in itself is just another mild drug, no different than coffee
except for the detructive induction techiques and quanitites of the drug
the addiction requires.

This is not a medical opinion; just what i've read.

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 2 months thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends!
of MDI!  (To date:  50% improvement in average bg's and 85% fewer hypos)!