Re: [IP] "failing" related to a test is problematic!!!!

>At 12:58 PM 2/21/01 -0500, someone wrote:
>>Anything over 140 is failing.  That is why they want her to come back for
>>the the 3 hour GTT.  Just because she did not pass the 1 hour test does
>>not mean she will fail the 3 hour test.

>What expectations related to diabetes have helped you feel like you have

I think i agree w/ Jim.  We need to be careful regarding how we think of
our test results and thus how we think about ourselves.  there  is no such
thing as "failing" nor a "good" nor "bad" test result.  These are all facts
to use as tools to try & achieve better DM.  Attaching value judgements to
test results is self-destructive.  This is esp. true for children.  Growing
up with "bad" tests can make for very poor self esteem.

this is an uncontrolable disease - er - "disorder" but one for which hard
work and great effort at trying to emulate a control often does pay off.

I have often transgressed my own "riles" regarding language and DM.  Sorry.
In diabetes and esp. in referring to test results; value judgements must be
left at the door.

Opps, my soapbox just collapsed.

Kind regards,

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 2 months thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends!
of MDI!  (To date:  50% improvement in average bg's and 85% fewer hypos)!