Re: [IP] RE: Genetics of Diabetes Info.

I got the following out of a book titled 'Natural Medicine for Diabetes' by
Deborah R. Mitchell:

Type I diabetes tends to run in families, although the association is not
strong, as about 89 percent of people who develop Type I diabetes do not have
an immediate family member with the disease.  Risk factor for family members
have been determined (see Table 1-2).

Table 1-2

Table 1-2
If your (    ) has Diabetes, Your risk factor is:
Twin: 1 in 3
Sibling:  1  in 14
One of your Parents:    1 in 25
Your Mother:   1 in 40-50
Your Father:    1 in 20
No Relatives:  1 in 500

The general consensus among physicians is that people do not directly inherit
Type I diabetes but rather a susceptibility to (develop) it.  Researchers are
looking for ways to detect diabetes before it becomes apparent, but as of yet
have not found a marker or indicator that is accurate and practical to use
for testing purposes."

As far as Type II's, it says that a tendency towards insulin resistance is
what is inherited.  "But not all Type II's have insulin resistance: some
produce too little insulin because they have too few beta cells.  In less
that 1 percent of people with Type II diabetes, a weak, ineffective form of
insulin is produced.  Regardless of the reason, the end result is the same:
the cells do not get enough glucose."

Hope this helps!

Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD
Cleveland, Ohio
IDDM X 18 years, Pumping since 1/4/1995.
e-mail:    email @ redacted

In a message dated 2/21/2001 08:32:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, email @ redacted