[IP] RE: genetics of DM

--------<snip>---------
>Thanks,
>Shevy

The following is from "Diabetes 1996 Vital Statistics" published by the
American Diabetes Association.

If there is no IDDM (Type 1) in the family the risk is 1% by age 50.
One parent with IDDM:
     Father, the risk is 6%
     Mother who has IDDM and is <25 yr old at childs birth the risk is 4%
     Mother who has IDDM and is >25 yr old at childs birth the risk is 1%
                      (The risk is ~2 times higher if the parent was
diagnosed before age 11)
Sibling with IDDM the risk by age 50 is 10%
Identical twin with IDDM the risk is 25-50%

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MM 507 - 1998