[IP] Diagnostic criteria for diabetes.

>  I tested my mom the other day
> and her bs was 189!!  She said she had just eaten
> something sweet ( I don't remember what it was,
> pudding maybe), but still that is really up there for
> a non diabetic and her dr doesn't seem even the
> slightest bit concerned!!  She is using one of my old
> meters to test periodically, but ........
> she doesn't know what her numbers should be and I told
> her not over 160
Here is the most recent criteria I'm aware of.

Sorry, she's got it.

Impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) and impaired fasting glucose (IFG)
 The terms IGT and IFG refer to a metabolic stage intermediate between
 normal glucose homeostasis and diabetes. This stage includes
 individuals who have IGT and individuals with fasting glucose levels
 >110 mg/dl (6.1 mmol/l) but <126 mg/dl (7.0 mmol/l) (IFG). The term
 IFG was coined by Charles et al. (115) to refer to a fasting plasma
 glucose (FPG) level >110 mg/dl (6.1 mmol/l) but <140 mg/dl (7.8
 mmol/l). We are using a similar definition, but with the upper end
 lowered to correspond to the new diagnostic criteria for diabetes.