Re: [IP] Good control effect on A1C's

At 05:42 PM 2/20/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Kelly worote"  Does anyone know how long it takes for your good bs to
>affect your a1c tests?  I know the test measures three
>months, but can you see improvement in a week?  two?
>A month? if you have the test done again?"

Red blood cells live for about 120 days, so I would think that to get a
reliable difference in your A1C it would take about 3 months.  All those
cells aren't born at the same time, though.  So you might see some change
within a couple of weeks if your control has changed drastically.

If you have the test done again, don't compare it with your earlier result
unless you have it done at the same lab.  Different labs use different
numbering schemes for what a normal a1c result is.  Most lab reports will
have their normal range documented somewhere in the report.

Is there any particular reason you're feeling rushed to get quick results?