[IP] Daily total insulin usage for the preggers lady

I have a question for the group.  When I last saw my ob/gyn he asked me how many units per day I was up to.  He said as long as I was staying under 100 units that was fine. My basals have almost doubled in some parts of the day now that I'm in the middle of month 6, and my carb ratios have increased as well.  I am getting awfully close to that 100 unit mark.  Does anyone know why it would matter, though?  If it takes that much insulin for me to have the correct bg's, what would be the alternative?  I don't think any type of oral medication would work on me as a type 1, would it?? Does anyone know what the significance of my daily totals are, or what I would do to lower them (other than stop eating completely)?
I will ask the doctor when I see him March 2, I just wondered.

Sherry C