Re: [IP] significant other

>My boyfriend...
>... My question to you- aside
>from just needed a place to vent the frustration of discovering that my best
>friend is utterly clueless- is first, how do I explain/teach the importance,
>emotional stress, and just plain weight of having DM to someone who doesn't
>have it?  And also, does anyone know of any books- maybe something
>biographical, not technical but more on the personal side, that a guy
>wouldn't find too boring?  Thanks!

I and many others on this list understand exactly your frustration.  It
helps to put yourself in the other person's food- er- place - er shoes or

I don't think anyone can know what it's like to be anyone else.  All we can
ask is for soemone to be supporting and understanding of the symptoms; even
if they don;t know what it is they are trying to help with.  Your boyfriend
sounds as if he's ahead of the crowd in this!  does he have a sister? ;-/

I was with a girl for while and she did things like putting a snack by the
bed in case I got low and that effort touches me deeply to this day.  At
the same time she'd get angry wiht me for eating (due to a hypo) while on
the way to dinner!  It's a real mixture of trying but not undertanding.  I
really don't think anyone w/o Type I can understand.  but if they are
willing to be sup[portive, patient and understanding - thats enough for me.
I don't think reading a book on Dm would be helpful.. Slow, logical
explanations as circumstances arrise would be my choice.  but hey, it's
juts my HO and I'm still single!

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 2 months thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends!
of MDI!  (To date:  50% improvement in average bg's and 85% fewer hypos)!