Re: [IP] significant other

>My boyfriend...
>... My question to you- aside
>from just needed a place to vent the frustration of discovering that my best
>friend is utterly clueless- is first, how do I explain/teach the importance,
>emotional stress, and just plain weight of having DM to someone who doesn't
>have it?  And also, does anyone know of any books- maybe something
>biographical, not technical but more on the personal side, that a guy
>wouldn't find too boring?  Thanks!
>Julie

Julie,

I and many others on this list understand exactly your frustration.  It
helps to put yourself in the other person's food- er- place - er shoes or
whatever.

I don't think anyone can know what it's like to be anyone else.  All we can
ask is for soemone to be supporting and understanding of the symptoms; even
if they don;t know what it is they are trying to help with.  Your boyfriend
sounds as if he's ahead of the crowd in this!  does he have a sister? ;-/

I was with a girl for while and she did things like putting a snack by the
bed in case I got low and that effort touches me deeply to this day.  At
the same time she'd get angry wiht me for eating (due to a hypo) while on
the way to dinner!  It's a real mixture of trying but not undertanding.  I
really don't think anyone w/o Type I can understand.  but if they are
willing to be sup[portive, patient and understanding - thats enough for me.
I don't think reading a book on Dm would be helpful.. Slow, logical
explanations as circumstances arrise would be my choice.  but hey, it's
juts my HO and I'm still single!

;-/

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!