Re: [IP] HbA1c

email @ redacted wrote:
> Blood Glocuse levels:
> HbA1c %                         Avg BG (mg/dl)
> 7                                       150
> 6                                       120
> 5                                        90 (note: edited by me)
> I generally run the
> gamut from 4.7 to 6.2 and still have some wild and rapid exscursions between
> lo and hi. I also have had many complications especially with the eyes.
> Color me totally unuimpressed with HbA1c test results. BW

Well, you ain't the only one! It seems to me that my A1c represents my
lowest fasting numbers, not my averages. Maybe not even that.

My highest A1c ever was 7.1, when I was NEVER below 150 and often above
300 (see chart above), and my usual ones are in the 5.0 - 5.3 range,
when I'm below 90 only for very short periods of time, as opposed to
running between 100 - 150 most of the time.

That's partly why I'm always amazed when people report such high A1c
numbers as 10 or 13. For me to be that high, I'd have to be running 800
and over at all times.

With that said, there IS scientific evidence that the A1c differs from
person to person, based on several factors, such as type of hemoglobin
(there are a lot of different variations, many of which don't glycate as
readily) -- there is an article on the m.h.d. FAQ about it. I also read
an article in Diabetes Spectrum (I think, don't remember exactly) about

My question, that I've asked in various places and never gotten a
response to is, if you are a "low glycator" as reflected by your A1c,
does that mean you also tend to resist glycation of other tissues? And
if you do, does that spare you from glycation-related complications?

I obviously have an intense interest in this question because of my own
record -- the endos seem to regard the A1c as the golden standard, and
tend to ignore actual BG records as a result. I hate being told I'm
doing great at those times when I know I'm not!!!

However, in my more rational moments, I realize that the endo, long on
book knowledge and short on practical knowledge, is not the expert here,
and that for me, it's worth the investment in frequent testing, NOT
because I'm particularly running high or low, but because it's the only
way I have to track my real BG averages.

So put me down on the list of people who'd LOVE to have a continuous BG
monitor, preferably one that would track averages, highs lows and

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted