RE: [IP] significant other

Julie, don't blame your boyfriend for him not knowing how much of a
discease DM is.  Educate him on it.

----- Original Message -----

From: Julie
Britt

To: email @ redacted

Sent: 2/19/01 6:28:55 PM

Subject: [IP] significant other

My boyfriend is very helpful (and when he's not he tries really hard)
when

it comes to the daily ins and outs of DM, but doesn't have a clue what
it's

like to really live with it.  He's fine about getting up for a
midnight run

to the kitchen or disconnecting my pump when we get intimate, and
other

little stuff like that.  The bad side?  Just theother
day he compared DM to

having "a little athsma."  Am I wrong to be upset about
that?  He's such a

sweet and caring guy, and I know it's not his fault, but it seems like
he

thinks it's no big deal.  He thinks I take shots and eat a little
extra food

when I get hungry and that's the whole story.  My question to
you- aside

from just needed a place to vent the frustration of discovering that my
best

friend is utterly clueless- is first, how do I explain/teach the
importance,

emotional stress, and just plain weight of having DM to someone who
doesn't

have it?  And also, does anyone know of any books- maybe
something

biographical, not technical but more on the personal side, that a guy

wouldn't find too boring?  Thanks!

Julie

--- Andrea and Greg Rueff

--- email @ redacted