Re: [IP] A1c info. from Diabetes.com

>The most common figures I've heard are that the participants in the DCCT
>were aiming for 7.1 and achieved 7.55 -- and that complications were
>reduced, but NOT eliminated.
>I've also seen charts that show that the incidence of retinopathy rises
>rapidly with A1cs over 6.1.
>On the other hand, the ADA advocates taking action only when A1cs are
>over 8.0, and that may be where this article got its figure from.
>Personally, I'm on your endo's side -- I think an A1c of 8 is too high.
>The REAL goal of diabetes control is to keep your A1c as close to normal
>as possible without having many or severe hypos. That means keeping it
>as close to 6 or below as possible (given the hypo restriction!).
>One endo, Dr. Bernstein (who wrote a book advocating a low-carb diet)
>feels that even 5.0 is too high, and says to aim for about 4.5, because
>that's what non-diabetics typically run at when you exclude the ones who
>are on the road to developing Type 2.

This is a good summary of all conclusions I've encountered over the last
six years regarding target A1C's.  However the one factor not mentioned is
quality of life!  IMHO I would add:  "...and without significantly lowering
one's quality of life".

That's why we're here.  Not ot keep a perfect A1C but to have some fun too.

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 2 months thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends!
of MDI!  (To date:  50% improvement in average bg's and 85% fewer hypos)!