Re: [IP] Anemia question

Try taking you iron supplements with a glass of orange juice.  The Vitamin C
(ascorbic acid,) and the overall acidity level of the OJ will help to
increase absorption.  But don't take just a Vitamin C supplement with the
iron and think that will help...it has to be surrounded by acid...like in the
OJ!  Also, since you may have some stomach irritation, there are other forms
of iron therapy that can be less irritating to the stomach (if you're taking
Iron Sulfate...you didn't mention.)

And don't forget the dark green leafy veggies...they are full of natural iron
and since your body needs the food to stimulate absorption, it may tolerate
the veggies and help to get you over the anemia.

And I agree with the previous post that you need to have full iron
studies/anemia studies done...you could be deficient in Folic Acid (AKA
Folate,) or Vitamin B12...both of which can cause anemia.  But the only way
to know for certain is for the MD to check both the Folate levels and B12
levels and do a full blood count.

I don't think that those 8-12 BG tests would deplete your iron
levels...you're bogy would easily replace one drop before you would be doing
the next one!

Hope this helps!

Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD
Cleveland, Ohio
IDDM X 18 years, Pumping since 1/4/1995.
[And friendly neighborhood Registered/Licensed (OH) Dietitian!!]
e-mail:    email @ redacted

In a message dated 2/15/2001 08:42:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, email @ redacted