[IP] Article on Kids with Pumps

Hi everyone!

I got this today in my ADA web-newsletter that I get about every week or so.
Thought all of you parents would be interested...maybe even use it as a
reference for those of you trying to get your kid on a pump!  The full
article will be published in February's issue of PEDIATRICS.

Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD
Cleveland, Ohio
IDDM X 18 years, Pumping since 1/4/1995.
e-mail:    email @ redacted

Insulin Pump Therapy in Diabetic Kids
Ivanhoe Broadcast News
Feb. 12, 2001 (Ivanhoe Newswire) -- Insulin pump therapy is an effective
therapy for routine diabetes care for children and adolescents.

Researchers from the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in Denver
studied insulin pump use in 56 patients ages 7 to 23. During the study
period, patients improved on a number of treatment-related measures. Rates of
severe hypoglycemia (low blood sugar episodes) decreased, although not
significantly. The percentage of patients reporting decreased versus
increased seizure frequency or hypoglycemia were both statistically

"Even patients with poor initial control may achieve success with (insulin
pump) therapy," wrote researchers. Insulin pump therapy works by delivering a
continuous supply of insulin, which flows from a pump through a plastic tube
and into a needle placed inside the body.

Previous research has reported positive effects of insulin pump therapy,
including a decrease in diabetic complications. However, it also found
patients experience significant weight gain. In the current study,
researchers did not witness unusual weight increases.

Researchers report male patients tended to be less successful in this study.
Questions remain about the effect of insulin pump therapy on quality of life,
and the researchers said they are continuing to study this area. Their study
is published in this month's issue of Pediatrics .      To receive a free
weekly e-mail on Medical Breakthroughs, go to

2000 Ivanhoe Broadcast News, Inc.