Re: [IP] Those darn non-DM'ers

I know exactly what you mean - I guess we all do.  This one kills me - several
coworkers have responded to my insulin pump with "Oh, you must have it really
Bad!"

>>> "Sherry Compton" <email @ redacted> 02/14/01 04:02PM >>>
I know we talk about this all the time, but I just wanted to mention a few
fun
encounters I've had lately.
In class the other night I was talking a little about adjusting my insulin
with a
classmate who has nursing experience.  Another student overheard and decided
join the conversation.  Apparently a friend of his no longer has to take
insulin--she just watches what she eats now.  He looked at me like he expected
me
to disavow all chocolate upon hearing his news.  I explained to him that I am
type
1 and will always have to take insulin, but that maybe his friend was on her
"honeymoon" phase to no longer need insulin, or that she was only borderline.
He
insisted this was not so, and that I could probably stop taking insulin if
I'd
just follow her diet. GRRRR...
I love those people who feel qualified to practice medicine without a
license.
Another lady who works in my office has a stepson on an insulin pump and she
always acts surprised and disapproving when she catches me eating something
"bad"
like a cookie.  I wonder what her stepson eats...
I tell you, if I can never have another chocolate chip cookie again, I'd
better
give up now.
I say we revolt and overthrow all non-DM'ers.

Sherry C
>From the massive city of Bowling Green, KY
Dreaming of chocolate chip cookies from the student bake sale today