Re: [IP] Telling employers

I guess that I have an advantage of working in the medical world.

I have always been upfront and honest during my interview...I have to be
because I have appointments scheduled with my wonderful Endo six months in
advance (at the Cleveland Clinic, you may wait even longer!)  I let them know
that I may need to miss a day (or part of,) every 3 months for my
appointments.  And I firmly tell them that my work is never late and that my
diabetes is not an excuse.  I work a longer day before and the day after to
make up the time if I don't have any days off accumulated yet.

I always ask about healthcare benefits at the interview, too.  I have been
screwed by an insurance company before and ended up with a $6,000 hospital
bill...they claimed 'pre-existing condition' when I had coverage for 18 YEARS
from my previous plan (as Mom's dependent,) and then decided to not cover
anything.  Anywhere that I have interviewed has given me the insurance info
(all of it,) along with contact numbers to call and check our exactly what is
covered and what is not.

I am very open with my co-workers, too.  Again, I have the advantage of being
empoyed and working around nurses and MDs all day long.  They know that if
they find me on the floor to check my glucose first.  I have even had the
opportunity to have long discussions with 2 parents who have decided that
they want their kids on the pump.  They had never been given the opportunity
to talk to anyone on a pump.  That made me feel good!

Again...just my 2 cents (that may not even be worth that!)

Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD
Cleveland, Ohio
IDDM X 18 years, Pumping since 1/4/1995.
e-mail:    email @ redacted

Don't volunteer anything, if they don't ask, I wouldn't tell. Usually there