[IP] independence

I am the mother of an 11 year old T1 - to start pumping March 1st.  This
question is about indenpedence whether on the pump or not.  I was wondering
at what age some of you who have been living with diabetes for a long time -
started treating your own lows that happened during the night.  If my son
goes low at night, he comes and gets me.  I don't mind at all.  It's just I
had a friend (who of course does not have a child with diabetes) who thinks
that an 11 year old should be able to get their own juice, cereal, glucose,
whatever.  I think it is OK that he gets me.  Any thoughts?
Jocelyn, mom of Brian