Re: [IP] pumping and ice hockey

> Does anyone on the list play ice hockey, or have a child who does?
> My 12 y.o. son plays and/or practices at least 4 times a week,
> usually in the early evening. He eats dinner between 1 and 1 1/2
> hours before skating and boluses accordingly.  We're having
> difficulty with his post-hockey BGs.  He tests as soon as he can
> after he gets off the ice (between 10 and 30 minutes) and is always
> above 240, sometimes as high as 500+.  He boluses and the numbers
> start to come down within a couple of hours.  Before going on the
> ice he follows these guidelines:

Strenuous activity requires that the cells be able to metabolize
glucose which in turn is dependent on adequate free insulin available
in the blood stream. For athletes this usually results in one of two
scenarios -- sometimes both, but not at the same time.

1) the extra activity burns all free glucose and results in a rapid
2) the extra activity requires lots of glucose, but absent adequate
insulin the liver is signaled to dump and the result is a high --
because there is inadequate free insulin in the blood stream, the
cells cannot get enough glucose and the feed back then signals for
more glucose.

My daughter has seen both things happen to her playing soccer,
particularly on tournament weekends.

This is a YMMV kind of thing. Lily's approach was simply to make sure
that there was adequate insulin IN and check at half time or signal
her coach to pull her out if she feels low. This has worked well for
her and rarely now does she have a problem with highs or lows.

my thoughts, YMMV
> BG under 100:  he eats 30 grams of carbs

too much carb -- how about 12-15 g + insulin for anything that would
push him over 100-125

> 100 - 150: he drinks a Gatorade while skating

too much carb again, try mixing 50-50 with water

> 150 - 250: he drinks water while skating
> if his BG is going down (it's lower than his last reading) he eats
> something.

dunno, If Lily gets that high while playing she boluses and will not
play until she is 190 or less.

her play range is 70 - 190, but there has to be some control measures
taken and in place if she is at one end or the other. The magnitude
and direction of bg's also have to be known. Her standard equipment
is similar to your son's. -- Glucose tabs, power bars, Gatorade,

All of this was harder when she was your son's age. Seems to be a
little easier now that she is 17. I guess metabolism and growth
factor into this but I have no clue how.

> We've tried relating it to every variable imaginable but can't seem
> to come up with any kind of pattern. Occasionally, he'll have a low
> in the middle of the night after hockey.

This is pretty common for us. After particularly hard play or more
than one game, Lily will lower her basals a tenth for the night to
prevent a night time crash. It has been pretty predictable for her
after back to back games.