Re: [IP] Which are you: Type I vs. Type II--Interesting Article!

Interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

I suspect that I'm really type 1.5, or perhaps what
Natalie calls "type weird," but I habitually describe
myself as type 1 for various practical and political

1. Most people don't even understand the difference
between type 1 and type 2. Trying to explain about
type 1.5 just confuses them.

2. I don't want to give any doctor the slightest
encouragement to try to take me off insulin. (A
doctor I saw less than a year ago insisted that I
must be type 2 because I held out for nine months
after diagnosis without taking insulin. Then she
started talking about getting me off insulin by
putting me on Rezulin! Even after I explained that
I'm not insulin resistant and I don't *want* to get
off insulin! Not to mention not wanting to destroy
my liver....)

3. I think it's important that people know that
it's possible to get type 1 at any age.

4. Functionally, I'm type 1: I have to take insulin.
The therapy is the same.

5. Type 1's get more respect. (I'm not proud to admit
that this is a motivation for me, but there it is.)

6. Habit.

But it's interesting, all the same. I never fit the
typical profile of either type. It took me nearly 7
months after diagnosis to start spilling ketones, and
even then, I wasn't in the DKA range (luckily). When
I finally went on insulin and it became apparent within
a day that my problem was insulin deficiency, not insulin
resistance, my endo basically shrugged and said "well,
I guess you're type 1 after all." I suggested having a
C-peptide test done, and she refused to refer me for
one. I think that she thought that if it showed that
I was producing any insulin at all, I'd want to go off
shots. My real reason for wanting to know was the one
mentioned in the article: "Knowing your diabetes type
can also give you a better understanding of the changes
that may occur to you as you age and your disease pro-
gresses." For example, I've never EVER had a blood sugar
over 340, even during the months just before I went on
insulin, when I couldn't get my blood sugar down below
200 no matter what I did. I suspect that this is because
I'm still producing some insulin. If I ever quit pro-
ducing insulin, I might start seeing the *really* high
bgs. (I hope not....)

I've since had a C-peptide test, and it showed that I'm
still producing a very tiny amount of insulin, but such
a small amount that the Rezulin pusher agreed that I
would never be able to "get off insulin." (Grrr.)  I
haven't had a GAD antibody test.

/Janet L.