[IP] pumping and ice hockey

Does anyone on the list play ice hockey, or have a child who does?  My 12 y.o.
son plays and/or practices at least 4 times a week, usually in the early
evening. He eats dinner between 1 and 1 1/2 hours before skating and boluses
accordingly.  We're having difficulty with his post-hockey BGs.  He tests as
soon as he can after he gets off the ice (between 10 and 30 minutes) and is
always above 240, sometimes as high as 500+.  He boluses and the numbers start
to come down within a couple of hours.  Before going on the ice he follows
these guidelines:

BG under 100:  he eats 30 grams of carbs
100 - 150: he drinks a Gatorade while skating
150 - 250: he drinks water while skating
if his BG is going down (it's lower than his last reading) he eats something.

We've tried relating it to every variable imaginable but can't seem to come up
with any kind of pattern. Occasionally, he'll have a low in the middle of the
night after hockey.

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!

mom to Patrick