[IP] New Infusion Set from D

Along with 14 other pumpers in the Chattanooga area, I was asked by my endo
to participate in testing and be a guinea pig for a new infusion set that
Disetronic is coming out with called the ULTRAFLEX. Having been on the
Disetronic TENDER from the beginning of my career as a pumper, I was a bit
apprehensive about using a straight needle employed by the ULTRAFLEX. That
fear is groundless when compared to the many fine features of the new set.
Also, one has a choice of 8mm and 10mm needles.
Like the TENDER, it uses an introducer needle to insert the teflon cannula
that remains inserted.  The greatest feature in my mind is the connecter
needle that connects the tubing hence the pump to the infusion set. In the
olden days, using my TENDER, the connecter always had to be inserted in the
set right side up. Being somewhat visually impaired as I am, this was not
always easy to determine. With the ULTRAFLEX they have wised up and there is
no right or wrong side up. Just however you take hold of the thing, you can
plug it into the infusion set. In other words the thing is totally
ambidextrous. And as with the other older versions, you get the audible click
when the needle is correctly and firmly connected.
There are other notable features as well. The Adhesive patch that holds the
thing in place, as it comes from the package is shaped like a cowboy hat, and
slightly upturned on both sides.  When the paper backing is removed, the
sides remain up until the insertion is complete and then they are pushed down
and flattened out to do their job. You do not have to try and hold one edge
of the adhesive patch out of the way while inserting the needle. In my case
this always resulted in a wrinkled mess that made me wonder if it would hold
for three days. There is also a built-in disposal unit for the used needle,
eliminating the need for a sharps container.
I am told that it is universal and will work with other pumps. So far I am
pleased with it and will keep everyone advised as I continue the test.  BW