Re: [IP] My angiogram

In a message dated 2/8/01 10:18:01 AM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:40:54 -0500
> From: Yerachmiel Altman <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] My angiogram
> Hurray!!
> I survived the angiogram 100% OK.  The benedryl really worked!!  (Of
> course,
> keeping my eyes open last night afterwards was another story but absolutely
> NO
> NAUSA!!  No need to look through breakfast and lunch from yesterday!!!
> Unfortunately the Dr's laser broke yesterday and so he couldn't laser the
> eye
> with the hemmorage but he said it's OK because he'll get the pictures back
> and
> do the laser with the pictures (which is how he really wants to do it
> anyway).
> Thanks for all the support and help on this
> If anyone has had laser before and can let me know what to expect and if
> there
> any shoulds or shouldn'ts please tell me
> Yerachmiel
Yerachmiel -- Good news about your retinal angiogram!!  I wasn't told to
expect 'radio-active' urine, so that was the biggest surprise for me.  HA!

I had laser treatment to my right eye last April.  After being diabetic for
20 years, this was my first MAJOR complication of this crummy disease.  I was
quite emotional after the surgery and sat in the doctor's office and just
sobbed.  I felt so disappointed with my body, that it had again, let me down.
 My doctor told me that after being diabetic this long, that some kind of
retinopathy was inevitable.  My laser treatment was a success and I haven't
had any problems since.

The procedure was not painless as I was told, but I was quite uncomfortable.
I felt every laser 'zap' in the back of my eye.  Numbing drops are placed in
the eye and of course the pupils are dilated.  If I remember correctly, he
used some kind of lubricating drops as well that caused a lot of watering of
my eye.  When he was ready to start the procedure, I sat in a chair and
leaned forward, resting my chin in a chin-rest (of course!) and placed my
forehead against the machine.  I was grateful my head wasn't strapped in.  He
had to hold a large, thick glass lens against the cornea and position the
laser to go through the lens and to my retina.  I don't remember how many
'zaps' I received and I did not use any pain medication afterwards.  I also
haven't noticed any changes to my vision since the surgery either.

I hope this information helps you.  By the way, when are you scheduled to
have your laser treatments?

Take care.
MM pumping with Pearl  11/28/00