[IP] Re: Huh?

We were told at my (then 6yo) daughter's dx (11/96) that there
were NO restrictions on her diet, period. The endo and the
dietitian both said to just use the same common sense we should
all use when eating (you know, don't stuff her with sweets all
day long but she could have sweets and treats like everyone else)
and that I did not need to go home and get rid of the Little
Debbie brownies in my cabinet and replace everything with "sugar
free" foods. They said sweets and treats can be worked in in any
number of ways. So that's what we always did on MDI (and we
maintained very good control.) The endo said they had seen MUCH
more rebellion, sneaking foods, and psych problems in kids who
felt deprived than in those who were not restricted, and that has
always stuck with me. I cringe whenever I hear someone say they
can't have something because they are on MDI (even moreso if they
are on the pump, and yes, I know of someone whose 12yo is on the
pump and they are still on the same restrictive diet they were on
with MDI, out of habit.) Of course, it is their business if they
want to do that but there really is no need to be that
restrictive nowadays.

Nick said:
Now, what is the problem with just taking an injection of seven
units of humalog or regular insulin and eating the damn donut?
For twenty five of my thirty seven years as an insulin dependent
diabetic taking as many injections as my eating required I have
not, yet, been able to see what the reason for "depriving" kids
of ANY age of their hard earned "treats". You can do it with the
pump, you can do it without the pump.

little guy due 3/10/01