Re: [IP] Re: What to tell the children

email @ redacted writes:

> Mostly just be available for them to talk to. I
> guess that's all any parent can do.

   Thanks for sharing so honestly what growing up with diabetes was like for
you. As you await the birth of your own child, rest assured that you've
already put your own experiences to good use with the comment quoted
above.....and your baby will thank you for that wisdom some day!
   As far as the complications being a "reward" or "punishment" for whether
someone did or didn't judiciously care for their diabetes, I personally opt
not to "buy into" that. One optimizes his/her chances for staving off
complications by being more diligent, but from my involvement in the research
grant lay review process for JDRF, I have sadly learned that those who
"dodge" the complications bullet have been fortunate in their genetic
make-up.....but since none of us knows what our genes are predisposed to do
or not do, it behooves everyone, diabetic or not, to maximize his/her own
health. I "preached" to Melissa from day one that someday, whether or not she
still has diabetes, I'd like to imagine her own children thanking her for
having taken such good care of herself, even though doing so day after day
after day was NOT the easiest thing to do, particularly in light of all those
"unspoken" childhood emotions, reactions, slights, pains, etc. that shape
one's "Wonder Bread years"!
Regards, Renee (melissa's pump mom who just LOVES hearing my child happily
report that her bg upon awakening today was 100...as opposed to the 268 it
was yesterday, probably from a nighttime low/rebound!)