[IP] Adult kid DMer

> If anyone whose grown up with diabetes has any
suggestions on how to handle this, please speak up. It's very hard. Marina .

I was 11.5 at dx, and it's over 50 years later. I was given a death sentence
at the time and my mom subtly referred to my demise often. I was sure I'd be
dead by a ripe old age (I picked 35 for that <VBG>). I've been married 40.5
years!!  I feel like Mark Twain who said, "If I'd known I'd live this long,
I'd have taken better care of myself."  How true. I had no hope - with only
one shot a day of NPH/Reg mixed and pee tests which I seldom did.

The 3 major developments I've seen during the last 5 decades are home BGs,
pumps, and Humalog. With these tools (I went 31 years without any of them),
your son has a much brighter hope. I can't predict the incidents of
complications 4 decades from now, but I bet these kids today will fare much
better than we very *oldies* are. I can't predict if a truck will come along
and mow someone down. We can only do our best and there are no guarantees. The
odds are better now, but don't make any promises you can't keep. I also highly
recommend NOT saying, "Oh, you'll be fine - nothing is going to happen to
you." A kid sees through that - after all DM happened.

The best to you and your sweet little ones. (~_^)

http://maxpages.com/bludasue AND http://www.picturetrail.com/dmbashpics
Poor spellers of the world, untie!