[IP] Re: Cinnamon

Hi there:  I have a book somewhere in this house (that's another story!) that
tells all about the effects of cinnamon on blood sugars (for type 2's) I
stumbled across it a couple years ago and decided to try it.

Of course it is not in place of insulin (I know better than that...) but I
tested with my son's oatmeal and really anything that could use cinnamon,
applesauce is always good too.  It has lowered or controlled his blood sugar
in the next few readings. I even had a long talk with my Endo on it and he
thought it wouldn't hurt, no harm done. Now before anyone yells at me, I am
not swearing by this, I was just reminded of it by reading some of the other
posts on it. YMMV...

This was pre-pump and for some reason I have not tried to test it again.  I
made notes in my old data books about it and it worked every time we tried it.
I STILL add a good extra tesapoon to his oatmeal and applesauce, just don't
take notes now!

I found this online and it is almost the same as I had read in the medical
book I had...

a.. Some studies have shown that cinnamon helps people with diabetes
metabolize sugar better. In adult-onset (Type II) diabetes, the pancreas
produces insulin, but the body can't use it efficiently to break down blood
sugar. Researchers discovered that cinnamon reduces the amount of insulin
necessary for glucose metabolism. "One-eighth of a teaspoon of cinnamon
triples insulin efficiency," say James A. Duke, Ph.D., a botanist retired from
the U.S. Department of Agriculture and author of The CRC Handbook of Medicinal
Herbs. Dr. Duke suggest that people with adult-onset diabetes discuss
cinnamon's benefits with their doctor. Taking = to > teaspoon of ground
cinnamon with each meal may help control blood sugar levels.