[IP] a few POSITIVE thoughts on fundraising

While I stand by everything I've said on this subject, I realize
that most of what I've said has been negative. So I've been trying
to think of ways to make a positive contribution to the brain-
storming about fundraising here.

Just to make myself perfectly clear: I don't want to discourage
anyone from working to raise either funds or awareness. I don't
want to throw cold water on people's ideas. I just want to urge
people to focus on the most effective ways of doing things.

If your main interest is cure research, I think the best way to
promote that is to get involved in whatever way you can with a
research organization, such as the JDRF. (I know there are others;
pick the one that best reflects your ideas about what most needs to
be done to combat diabetes.) Work your way up in the volunteer
organization. Learn the fundraising ropes. Lend them your ideas
and your passion.

But, there are also some ideas that have been kicked around here
on the list that are the kinds of things that a few people could work
on without being involved in a large foundation. I haven't been on
the list long, so I bet there are lots of discussions on similar topics
that have taken place in the past. The following is just an example.

One great idea that came up recently was that of finding ways for
parents of kids with diabetes to keep using their skills with
diabetes management after the kids have left home -- specifically,
to help older diabetics who are living alone or in nursing care.
I didn't follow the discussion all that closely, but it struck me as
an exciting idea. This is the kind of thing that a small group of
people could work together to promote.

And this morning, I thought of a foundation that *might* be
interested in funding something like this: the Soros Foundation,
which, among other things, runs the Open Society Institute.
Here's how they describe themselves:

"The Open Society Institute (OSI) is a private operating and
grantmaking foundation that seeks to promote the development
and maintenance of open societies around the world by supporting
a range of programs in the areas of educational, social, and legal
reform, and by encouraging alternative approaches to complex
and often controversial issues."

One of their programs has to do with reforming the medical
profession and access to medical care in the U.S.:

Another gives grants to individuals for research and activism
on a broad range of social service/social policy, etc. issues:

Anyway, that's an idea. It would mean writing a formal grant
application, which is a skill in itself. If you're interested in
following it up, take a look at the site. The Soros Foundation
might not even be the best place to look for funding, but I
think it's worth a shot.

/Janet L.

P.S. I hate doing fundraising and grant-writing myself. Sorry.  :)