[IP] Re: what to tell the kids

--- Marina <email @ redacted> wrote:
> Regarding how to handle questions about diabetes, I
> never told my son about the complications.  I always
> skirted around the issue by just saying that he
> should
> do the best he could to manage diabetes and that
> we'd
> always be there for him to help him in any way.  But
> that wasn't enough.  About 3 weeks ago he came home
> from school and told me that he'd been on the
> internet
> during computer class.  He went to an almanac site
> and
> typed in "diabetes".  He asked me if these things
> were
> going to happen to him.  I immediately knew what he
> meant and all I can say is that we had a good cry
> together.  He does everything he can, I do
> everything
> I can but nothing we do will guarantee future
> health.
> If anyone whose grown up with diabetes has any
> suggestions on how to handle this, please speak up.
> It's very hard.

The only advise I can offer is to be honest and let
him know about the profiles in here.  Especially the
ones you read that have been diabetic for 30 years
with no serious complications.  They really inspire
You can show your son the DCCT results that lower his
chances of having complication with good control.
But whatever you do (to all parents) don't threaten
your children with complications~it really does hurt
for a long time.  And when your very young you believe
everything your parents say--even now at 21 years old,
I thought I would die at 20, loose my feet by 15 and
that my kidneys wouldn't function anymore by 17
because of my mother....who did her best, but I think
went about it the wrong way.

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."
--Albert Einstein