Re: [IP] BEDTIME BG'S AND PUMP...GLUCAGON!

Gina,
you can still treat a sugar below 40 orally with juice, cake icing, etc.  Lows
in the 30s aren't that unusual for any of us I would imagine.  You will be
able to set your basal rate low enough that you won't have to worry about
bottoming out like you do now.  Long acting insulin is harder to predict than
humalog.  I was VERY worried about MANY things before I got my pump last year
and found that there just aren't that many big problems - you will be fine!

>>> <email @ redacted> 02/07/01 02:45PM >>>
i am just about to start on the pump and am TERRIFIED about going to bed due
to the fact that over the past year i have been sent to the ER four times for
sugars below 40 in the morning.........
i have neuropathy and do not feel my lows until i am at least 40!  by that
time it's silly to even try to treat them with food so i take half a vial of
Glucagon which makes me deathly sick!  this has made me totally resistent to
going to bed with my sugars under 200!  my doc says going on the pump will
make this much easier and less lows, but i'm afraid still to go to bed with
sugars under 200!  i guess i just have it in my mind that constant insulin
delivery is going to make me bottom out by morning!
what do most of you feel safe going to bed at?  what are your average
readings in the morning?
thanks for all your help  :O)
gina