Re: [IP] basal rates/unpredictable highs+lows

This sounds like it could have been written by me a few months after Gus had
started (9/00) on the pump.   His numbers have definately improved and
become more consistent as we've gained more experience.  Only this last
month have we felt comfortable sleeping through the night and that depends
entirely on his BG at 11:30 p.m.-midnight.  A couple of things have been
helpful in regulating the BGs.

1.  Using a butt site...less chance of crimping and more even absorbtion.
2.  Paying attention to the efficacy of Dual or Square wave boluses for
     certain kinds of food (pizza/pasta.)
3.  Paying attention to what exercise (hockey, soccer, swimming, tennis)
does to
     his immediate BGs (highs from adrenaline) and long term BGs (can be low
     during the night after a day of lots of activity,) and adjusting the
Temp Basals to
     accomodate.
4.  Consider using the Silouette catheters.  I understand that pediatric
results
     especally are better...we've finally mustered the courage to switch,
and
     our endocronologist now starts all his pumping pediatric patients using
only the
     Sil.

Unfortunately sometimes better BGs can only be the result of decisions made
based on your experience.  I was heartened to read one posting from someone
who said that they'd been pumping for 5 years and had just begun to master
the nuances it's operations.  Good luck; it does improve!