[IP] Re: New pumper - humalog - bubbles

> From: "Trish Ober" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] new pumper - humalog - bubbles
> Sharon writes: <I'm a 35 year DMI with a 5yr. DMI daughter.We received
> Katies Animas Pump.  We found out the first week that we can only fill
> insulin cartridge 1/2 full because Humalog seemed to loose it's potency
> after 2 1/2 days.We're also getting air bubbles after 24-36hrs.>
> Trish writes:
> I only use approx. 20 to 22 units of Humalog per day.  I fill my cartridge
> capacity of 300 units and then only have to replace the cartridge when
> (every 12 days or so allowing for priming - I just wait for the low
insulin beep
> and then plan ahead and change the cartridge when it is under 5 units
> as I have a low basal).  The humalog will not lose its potency.

I agree with you that readings increasing after 2 1/2 days are most likely
due to the infusion set. The bubbles can also cause problems.

BUT always keep in mind YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) when making absolute
statements like "The humalog will not lose its potency". Like you, I don't
use a lot of insulin. I change my cartridge every 10-11 days. For ME,
humalog does seem to lose its potency toward the end. I don't always change
the site, sometimes only the tubing, and there is often a marked difference
in bgs before and after the new cartridge. I'm looking forward to changing
to a newer pump so that I can fill my cartridge with about a week's worth of
insulin to avoid this.

(Type 1 - 7/81; pumping since 9/96)