[IP] basal rates

My son Zack (8) has been on the MM 508 pump since Nov. 00.  We are having a
terrible time getting his basal rates where they need to be.  Actually, we get
them set, they work for a week or two and then he starts running low then
high, then back to low etc.  We have been in constant contact with his endo
and she continues to make changes, but I thought by going on the pump that
some of the unpredictable bgs would be eliminated.  Don't get me wrong, I
think the pump is great when it works.  My son loves having no shots and
eating an occasional treat, but I was expecting less frustration with the
pump.  Is this because we are still new at pumping or is this just a new
aspect of managing his diabetes?  We are getting up every 3 hours at night to
check him (he does not usually wake up when he is low) and I would love to be
able to put him to bed and not worry that he is going to bottom out or
skyrocket through the night. Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly