[IP] Recording/Using Data Effectively

Hi fellow pumpers

When I started pumping , I used the Accuchek Complete to track my bg,  basal
rates, boluses, carbs, events etc.  I  used various software to download the
meter but was not satisfied that the data as presented told the real story
about how I am controlling my diabetes.  I would need a myriad of events to
explain what was truly going on.  I eventually gave up trying to "fit"
myself into
a software program and just jot down notes for my own use, notes that make
sense to me if not always to my endo.   I never write anything  twice in
exactly the same way.  :-(
Also I now use the FastTake and just download the readings into my old
Mellitus Manager to see trends, but I rely on day to day notes to make
changes in my insulin basals or boluses.  I need a record of emotional
trends correlated to my bg.

My son who is  software architect is now working on "emotional" software
which as his company`s promo states
"We have demonstrated an emotional thermostat which feels happy and relaxed
when the temperature is under control, but frantic and frustrated when the
temperature is uncontrollable. The
thermostat runs the gamut of 350 emotions when placed in typical and unusual
situations.but in all cases. responds very closely to what you'd expect from
a human."

I didn`t understand why this would matter to anyone at all and so responded
that if I had let`s say a glucometer that expressed emotions of its own I`d
toss it out the window!  I didn`t like the feature on the Accuchek Complete
that allowed messages to appear as I tested my bg so had turned that feature
I wouldn`t want to have another kind of  monitor scream its frustration or
whatever when I get a bg over 300.
All I want is to know how to respond to bgs appropriately either by
troubleshooting my pump or just bolusing as needed. I NEED BETTER NOTES !!!

I am intrigued by my son`s reply and would like to know if this makes sense
to anyone else on the list.

> > Let's take a look at an "emotional glucometer".
> >
> > If I were to design one, I would make it purely a "feedback" situation.
> >
> > You could train the system to feel the way YOU normally feel, so that
> > similar situations recurred, the system would echo your feelings.
> >
> > That would in fact justify your own feelings at the time, and you'd
> > know that your feelings were indeed tied to glucose levels. If your
> > feelings matched those on the meter, you'd know that you'd "been there"
> > before, and associate your emotions more with glucose levels than
> > with external forces around you.

I know that my shifts in glucose levels are tied intimately to my emotions
and vice versa
(It can shoot up 100 points waiting in a doctor`s waiting room, and  gosh my
diabetic cat`s glucose rises 300 points  just by entering the vet`s office.)
If my monitor by the "tone of its voice" reminded me that my 300+bg is just
being frustrated  and angry at being kept waiting, maybe I wouldn`t be so
ready to bolus only to crash several hours later.  Maybe there is something
to this "emotional software" technology.

Anyone care to comment?

Denise Guerin
Type 1 46 years
Minimed 507  2 1/2 years