[IP] dex strips / insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #853

Thanks for the mail on dex strips, they will go out shortly to the first
three who requested them!

For those who live in northern California (sorry for the spam but I know it
applies to a lot of the list and this could be a great opportunity for those
who qualify) a new study is now available for people with type1 or type2
diabetes. It's a post-marketing study looking at the FreeStyle Glucose
Monitoring System.  Dr. Prendergast's office in Atherton is running it out
of the clinic and hope to enroll 100 people who have been seen there for at
least a year (I would ask for flexibility on that front if you haven't been
there before.  He is a fabulous doctor.  See www.diabeteswell.com.  Much of
the work with patients is done over the web which is great for many who live
far away.) The FreeStyle system uses blood drawn from the arm instead of the

To enroll you must be testing your blood a minimum of twice a week for at
least 1 year. (!! I think that applies to the Type II's who are recently
diagnosted?) You must be willing to sign a consent form and visit the clinic
5 times over a 6 month time period. The TheraSense company will provide
their meter and free test strips for you to use for 3 months and the test
strips for your meter for 3 months.If you complete the study you may keep
the Freestyle monitoring system. Anyone who has had a HbA1c over 8 in the
past 3 months qualifies for the study.

I know that HbA1c is a high one for this list but I know some would qualify
-- unfortunately I would (though at least I am happy to be on a downward

Contact Barb Anderson at 650-368-1411 or email @ redacted if
you're interested in the study.