Re: [IP] 25-55? attn: Wayne

At your service Natalie.   But I would never even begin to attempt to
prove you wrong.  Men can never prove women wrong.  They can only
beat them up :-0
  Nonetheless :-) there is a whole lot of research dealing with
insulin receptors and signal transduction from those receptors.  This
basic research relates to how insulin works in cells.  And once more
is know about this, there may be pharmacologic or even genetic ways
to treat it.   I agree that beta cell transplants won't help type
II's, but only a small fraction of JDF's budget is focused on that.
But that is really the only way for a "cure", beyond stopping the
destruction of beta cells as diabetes takes hold ( and that won't
cure us).   So to cure type I's we have to wait for some way to get
functioning beta cells-- how soon will that happen, I don't know, but
new drugs are not the solution.  But to cure type II's, we just need
to be smarter about how insulin affects cells. There may be lots of
possible ways to fix this once we know more.   And I surmise looking
over the research project titles that more than half of the research
JDF supports will make us smarter in ways that may ultimately lead to
a new drug to augment insulin sensitivity.

<<<<<<<<<Wayne Mitzner wrote:
>  The "juvenile" in the name
>  only refers to the origins of the organization, but their current
>  research is as likely to result in a cure for type 2 as for type 1.

I'm curious why you say that a cure for Type 2 is as likely as Type 1.
What research do you think is relevant to a cure for Type 2?
Personally, I think Type 1 is FAR more likely to be curable in the
foreseeable future than Type 2, simply because the etiology of Type 1 is
so much better known.
Nobody really know what the root cause of Type 2 is -- nobody knows WHY
some people are more insulin-resistant than others (and it's NOT just
fat), and nobody know what the biochemistry of beta-cell failure is.
Even if Type 2's got beta cell transplants, it wouldn't address the
other components of the syndrome, for example hypertension and
hypercholesterolemia. (Nobody know what causes those, either).
I think the possibility of a cure for Type 1 is real, and foreseeable,
but a cure for Type 2 is not even a wink on the horizon at this point.

I hope you can prove me wrong!!!!!

  Natalie A. Sera, with all her ducks in a row!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>