[IP] Cross-country skiing!

I'm going cross-country skiing in about a month.
This will be my first experience using the pump
a) under cold-weather conditions and b) while
doing serious, sustained physical exertion.

I'm hoping to go on a serious day-hike between
now and the ski trip, time and weather permitting,
but if not, my workouts at the gym will be my only
exercise experience with the pump.

Any advice?

P.S. I was going to go hiking yesterday -- it was
gorgeous in the Bay Area -- but my blood sugar
was running low most of the day, and I couldn't
figure out why, so I thought it safer not to go.