[IP] Cross-country skiing!

I'm going cross-country skiing in about a month.
This will be my first experience using the pump
a) under cold-weather conditions and b) while
doing serious, sustained physical exertion.

I'm hoping to go on a serious day-hike between
now and the ski trip, time and weather permitting,
but if not, my workouts at the gym will be my only
exercise experience with the pump.

Any advice?

/Janet

P.S. I was going to go hiking yesterday -- it was
gorgeous in the Bay Area -- but my blood sugar
was running low most of the day, and I couldn't
figure out why, so I thought it safer not to go.
Sigh.