[IP] Re: Action of Carbs

Heidi wrote:

<<BTW, how exactly is it
that this information would be dangerous? How is being aware that different
foods may affect BG's differently if your pancreas is still capable of
producing insulin dangerous?>>

While I can't comment on a pancreas still being capable of producing
insulin, since after 37 years, I think that mine has given up completely.
But while it is true that "a carb is a carb is a carb", other factors such
as high fat can affect how that carb affects the blood sugar.  Higher fat
with the carb will slow it's effects sometimes causing a low first (if you
bolus the full amount immediately) then perhaps a high later if you don't
figure for the action of the carb finally hitting.  We've all experienced
this with Chinese food, pizza, and even Mexican food.  A lot of restaurant
foods will cause this because restaurants tend to use more fat when
preparing foods.  And, as always, YMMV.