Re: [IP] RE::WasMoira'sStory Now emergency/504 plan

> Michael asked:
> <<
>  If that is the case, get out the big hammer.
>  First, have you requested a 504 plan meeting and what was/is the
>  school's repsonse? Everything flows from this.
>   >>
> Oh yes we have requested a new 504 plan.  We had a meeting 2 weeks
> ago.  The meeting was cut short because it was held in the teacher's
> lounge and they were coming in for lunch.  We did not agree to a
> plan that was written last March.  If this plan isn't developed
> within the next week, we are going to take further action.

Yep, this is the hammer. It they will not conduct a formal 504
meeting and agree to a plan that IS ACCEPTABLE TO YOU AND YOUR
PHYSICIAN, then it is real easy to make the s--t hit the fan. This is
a requirement in federal law. I would suggest you contact the state
department of education and request that the region's special needs
advocate attend the meeting with you. They are there for the
benefit of you and your child. Its free and  may bear as much weight
with school systems as threatening a lawsuit.

The next step if they won't cooperate is a formal complaint with the
state and then the feds. Don't be bashful about demanding that this
meeting be held ASAP (get the special needs person on the hook