[IP] donation of a pancreas

I think it's a great idea to help our kids by writing on our organ donor
card that we want to give them our pancreas. But I don't think it could be
automatically given to our child. Aren't there many pre-surgery screening
tests that surgeons have transplant patients undertake before a pancreas
becomes available? Our kids wouldn't be prepared for surgery if our pancreas
were to become available. Just a thought.

Debbie, mother of Blake, 11, dxd at 6, Ontario Canada
yes to do a whole pancreas tranplant yes there are tissue compatiblities to
consider. however the islets could be used with no real problem.
pancreas has to be transplanted to the bladder, a difficult site. the
pancreatic duct drains into the bladder. spot probably you could get enough
islets to do about 12 transplants from one human pancreas. spot