[IP] Re: elephantiasis

To answer your questions, 1) they are definitely supporting
elephantiasis which 2) has nothing at all to do with John
Merrick. From the info they gave on their page (thanks for
providing the link), it sounds like they are fully aware of what
they are funding (meaning they MUST know it is not the same
disease John Merrick had. Why would it need to be, anyway?)
Elephantiasis is a worthy cause in its own right.

Marisa said:
Well, it's a little confusing to me just exactly which disease
Gates is funding.  Is it elephantiasis, or
neurofibromatosis or Proteus Syndrome?  Or does it not have
anything at all to do with John Merrick (the
elephant man) as I presumed it would?
P.S.  I just re-visited the Gatesfoundation page and it seems
they indeed contribute 20 mil to elephantiasis but I wonder if
they know that that's not what Merrick had...

little guy due 3/10/01