Re: [IP] Civility in Discourse

Heidi Olsen <email @ redacted> wrote:

> I have presented information based on my husband's personal experience with
> various foods.  He is not an ignoramus when it comes to setting his basal
> rates and is extremely careful about analyzing what he has and has not done
> to determine where a low or a high may be coming from.  But people have
> far concluded out of hand that his lows that follow the eating of certain
> foods were based on incorrect basal rates, ignorance, and psychosomatics.

And that's the rub, Heidi -- you and he are drawing conclusions about a very
complex subject based on his personal experience alone.  The responses people
have made have been pretty much based on understanding of the science of
diabetes, including nutrition science, a pretty good understanding of
endocrinology at least as far as diabetes is concerned, knowledge of pump and
insulin functions, etc.  These are based on research, which is objective and
is replicable.  It's very rare to find someone who can be objective when they
are directly involved.  And a sample of one (Sayer) is not a valid sample for
any kind of objective conclusions to be drawn.

I saw nothing that made judgments about you or Sayer as a person.  I'm doubt
that anyone on this list thinks you are a bad person.  From what I've
observed, I think you and Sayer are nice people.  The comments people have
made are more an attempt, I believe, to be helpful to Sayer to make better use
of his pump.

Regarding some of your specific comments, I doubt that there's anyone using a
pump who hasn't, at one time or another, needed to make adjustments to their
basal rates.  If my blood sugars start dropping consistently, then I need to
look for a cause.  There are lots of situations which can cause hypoglycemic
episodes, not the least of which is stress.  It might even be the stress of
thinking that if you (or Sayer) eats a particular food that something might
happen.  Something having a psychosomatic effect does not mean the effect is
not real.

The bottom line is that most of what's been said in response to you has been
helpful and friendly - and scientifically correct.

> BTW, how exactly is it
> that this information would be dangerous? How is being aware that different
> foods may affect BG's differently if your pancreas is still capable of
> producing insulin dangerous?

Because misinformation about the human body's response to a food can cause
people to take the incorrect action to correct a problem, often exacerbating
the problem instead.  For example, if someone thinks that eating sunflower
seeds will lower one's blood sugar, and eats several handfuls when they are
high, it could conceivably precipitate a bout of DKA, which *IS* a life
threatening situation.

> Judgments, condescension,  and personal attacks, however, are
> quite unnecessary and unwelcome.

I agree with you.  I think most of the responses were not judgmental,
condescending, or personal.  They were honestly skeptical of your

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted

The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my
wife who runs this house and makes more important decisions than I do.