[IP] Downward pressure

Sheila wrote:

"<<<<<From: "Heidi Olsen" <>Subject: [IP] Wine, cooking...and Sunflower
 so I will try to explain.
My husband generally avoids certain foods as causing downward pressure in
blood sugar.>>>>>>>

Sorry but what does the term "downward pressure" mean in terms of diabetes?

Hi -- thanks for asking.  There are, as you are likely aware, several
factors in the making of diabetic management decisions.  One, of course, is
what is our blood/sugar reading; second, is how much insulin we have "on
board" (the general guiding rule is the two-tenths rule, namely, that for
every hour after taking a bolus (or a shot), two-tenths of the bolused
amount is considered used up and, conversely, the remainder is not and so is
still actively influencing our blood/sugar status (YMMV); third, is this
"pressure" factor which is not where are we nor necessarily what we have on
board but where are we moving to and with how much directional force. It's
like a marble on a kitchen table. The more the table is tilted, the more
(gravitational) force there will be to act on the marble, and the degree the
table is tilted is the degree of "pressure" brought to bear on the marble in
a particular direction.  In diabetic terms, the marble is our blood/sugar
reading at a particular time, the table represents all the influences that
come to bear on the pressure, that is, which direction we are going (up or
down) and with how much force or impetus. [What we have on board will,
however, as we see, influence this third, "pressure," factor.]  For example,
if we are at 115 mg/dl but were previously at 50 mg/dl only 20 minutes ago
and we have over-reacted and we binge on candy bars (or other high and
long-lasting carb items, i.e, pasta, pizza, powerbars, etc.) then we would
have "upward pressure" and would, all other things being constant, wind up
at a high blood/sugar reading in short time. Or another example:  we measure
85 mg/dl in the middle of the afternoon, having had lunch hours earlier and
having exercised vigorously in the early morning then we have "downward
pressure" and 85 is not a safe number, relatively speaking. Or, having been
high at 11 a.m., we bolus at noon a large bolus (say, 8 units) for lunch
and. we test after lunch at  2 p.m. at 75 mg/dl; because we have a lot of
insulin on board (see factor two above), namely, 4.8 units, there will be
considerable "downward pressure" affecting our blood/sugar status.

Peace, Sayer