Re: [IP] ADA TOur De Cure 2001

Kenneth Bernstein wrote:
> I have worked as a volunteer for the ADA for many years and they really
> care a great deal about us type 1 diabetics.  The main difference between the
> JDF and the ADA is that the JDF is focused on a cure where the ADA is
> focused on a cure as well as presenting programs for all diabetics to help them
> with this disease.

Thanks for articulating this, Ken!

The ADA puts a lot of its resources into education of diabetics, and
until there IS a cure, this is VERY important. It's also involved in
setting standards of care, and physician and nurse education -- and from
all the stories on the lists, this is a CRUCIAL area to support!

I'm glad that the JDRF is oriented differently from ADA -- why else have
2 separate organizations?

Just throwing money around will NOT hasten the cure -- the basic science
has to be done first, and we won't get a cure until the state of
knowledge is ready to discover it. I don't want to sit around watching
my body fall apart because nobody bothered to educate me!

And I'd just as soon try to prevent complications in the LARGE Type 2
population who are, realistically, not scheduled for a cure anytime
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted