[IP] proteinuria scare

Hi gang

Just back from my annual check up.  Was asked to do a 24 hour collection as
I have protein (1+) in my urine.  I'm a long-term diabeteic and have
spilled protein for at least 17 years, but last year seemed to have reached
the point where there was no protein showing up.  I'm spooked and fear
kidney problems more than anything else.  Can anybody offer me ideas about
what protein in urine actually means?  I have heard that it may be a
reflection of lots of exercise.  I've spent two days hiking this past week
and walked numerous miles with my dog and lifted weights at the gym...could
that explain anything?  Thanks for any info or support.