Re: [IP] Fwd: Re: Researchers Develop Dual Glucose-Insulin Senso

Let's see what he has to say about my comments....

> From: "Stephen Pincock, Reuters Health" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: Researchers Develop Dual Glucose-Insulin Sensor 3:18 PM
> ET Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 17:40:20 -0500 -----
> thank you for your note. Of course you are quite correct, and we
> will issue an immediate correction. I am sure you understand that
> situations like this occasionally arise despite our best efforts,
> but we are always eager to hear from readers who notice errors. A
> healthy degree of skepticism is also welcome.
> Thank you again,
> Stephen Pincock

Dear Mr. Pincock,

It is very nice of you to issue a correction. I think Ms. Lafler's
point is that it is almost trival to check out the facts first hand
rather than relying on inadequate an misleading "common
misconceptions". Numerous organizations exist which can be contacted
quite easily and from who instant answers are available, both by
telephone and on-line. Examples follow.

ADA - American Diabetes Foundation
JDF - Juvenile Diabetes Foundation
CDC - Center for Disease Control -- Diabetes section
Insulin Pumpers
Children With Diabetes

there are many more......

The general public and our respective goverments are woefully ill
informed about diabetes, its complications and the economic and
emotional havoc it causes in our society. It is the forgotten disease.
It kills 4 times as many people every year as AIDS and receives a
fraction of the funding for research. It robs children of their
childhood, imprisoning them in a rigid set of schedules of constant
wake, sleep, snacks and shots that if imposed on a normal child would
be termed "cruel and unusual punishment". These misconceptions even
extend into the MAJORITY of the medical profession. Why am I telling
you all this?? Because it is the worst offense to perptuate these
myths when they cause people to think diabetes is not a problem and a
cure is right around the corner. That is the reason there is
inadequate funding for reasearch and so many children suffer
needlessly when modern therapy's are available that would return their
childhood to them. Might I suggest a feature article on diabetes and
the more up to date treatments and management techniques available.
You might actually educate not only the public, but a few doctors as

Most Respectfully,

Michael Robinton
Executive Director
Insulin Pumpers