Re: [IP] Wine and cooking

Heidi, if you really do believe that sunflower seeds cause hypos in
the middle of the night, then I don't think you need to worry about a
little wine in the cooking pot.   Your husband needs to first focus
on setting his basals right.  He needs to skip a few meals and
monitor his BG to get it stable without any food.   There's no reason
to assume anything, but there are lots of reasons to experiment with
everything.  The safety net is simply to check BG often.
     If you do ever get the basals right, wine is not too much of a
problem.  Red wine depending on type can be quite caloric 10-12 g in
a glass, but white is much less.  And champagne has almost none.
Alcohol can inhibit glucose release for a short time from the liver
to varying degrees in different people, but the alcohol is
effectively eliminated during cooking.  Me, I like  beer, but I like
it raw, and it has about the same CHO as a glass of red wine.