Re: [IP] how much time for velosulin to work?

In a message dated 02/28/2000 6:19:21 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< How
 long does it take velosulin to kick in?  My first
 order of business with my new endo is to be put onto
 humulog but for now, I must deal.  Is there a longer
 wait time for it to peak if the bg is high?  Thanks
 for the help. >>

I still use Velosulin in my pump too.  Yes, it does take longer to work.  I
usually have to wait about 45 minutes to see any movement in a bg when
correcting a high. Then it is only slight.  I also have to add 0.5 U for each
50 pts above 250.  So for a 300 I would add 1.0 U IN ADDITION to the 1unit/50
pts drop I would expect to use.  The higher the bg, the greater the insulin
resistence, but this is true with Humalog too. The biggest drop with
Velosulin for me is about 2.5 -3.5 hrs after the correction.

So lately I have been correcting instead with an injection of Humalog, and
increasing my basal by +0.2 to 0.4 if the cause of the high has been
sickness, stress, and not miscalculating a bolus.  The Humalog crx works much
faster and more reliably.

I will probably switch to a Velosulin/Humalog mix in my pump soon, maybe this
weekend when I can watch myself real careful.

Good luck,