Re: [IP] ready to quit the pump-help

In a message dated 02/28/2000 5:39:06 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Our daughter has always had
 AICs in the 6 range.  This is our first high one at 7.4; and it was on the
 pump!  What a disappointment.  It doesn't make sense that we aren't
 successful at this.   We believe in the technology and we care so much about
 our daughter.  >>

I can see your frustration.  What were your goals when you started on the
pump with her?  Were you aiming for less hypos?  greater freedom?  An A1c in
the 6 range is great, but was she getting it being stable or with a lot of
ups and downs?  If she was stable on MDI and happy with the regime, I'd say

I eat a lot of times a day too.  Usually six small meals (or snacks).  But I
try to do them at the same times so I can see a pattern to adjust basals/
carb ratios.  If she's eating a bite here and there and trying to bolus for
each in close time increments, its no wonder you're having a hard time.  It
makes it hard to tell where the post-prandnial (sp?), 2 hr after meal bg is
if she eats again 1 hr after the last.  And then there are the fats/ proteins
that will raise bg hours later.

Wish I knew some magic wisdom to help, but please know my heart goes out to
you and your daughter.