[IP] re: ready to quit the pump

 I don't really have any infusion set advice, I had
probs with sof-sets but they were with the actual set
itself, but all I can say is hang in there. I'm not
sure how long you've been pumping, but I remember
being told it took 4-6 weeks to adjust. I started
pumping in June, things were good for one month, but
after that, nothing was right. by september things
were not only bad but worse. by November my a1c had
jumped over 5 points, higher than I'd had in years on
shots. I was so discouraged, my endo mentioned shots
and YES I had considered them, but there was always
something in the back of my head, reminding me how
much I liked the pump. I have had more upset nights
with the pump than I ever had on shots, and so many
times I wanted to just get off the pump, but I knew I
was working my butt off for some reason. I found that
when people say things can get only better, it's NOT
necessarily true. I've decided even though Nov. was
the worse in my perspective, b/c in December I at
least found a halfway workable infusion set for my
body, but then in Jan i wound up in hospital flat out
because of diabetes. After that, things got better. My
endo never wanted me to get off the pump, he wanted me
to make it work and just keep trying. Well, it's been
8 months. I think a lot of this I have dealt with on
my own, and maybe if my endo had been more involved it
would've been easier on me, but you can't change the
past. I think *I* learned from all the struggles (and
probably made me appreciate "good" days even more) and
even 2 weeks ago I was ready to get back on shots
because my inf. set probs had returned/. However, for
some reason I just stuck it out. And now things have
been almost great.
 There's a lot of complicated stuff with all this
pumping. It's the most depressing thing when you use
an infusion set which actually makes you hurt, when
your control is worse than you've seen in years, and
when you've actually wound up sky high in hospital,
but you learn things do finally get to where they have
to get better. You have learned along the way, and you
know what to and what not to do.
 Someone as already said this, but now my diet is key.
I'm eating small amounts and low fat, and trying to
eat only when hungry, including skipping meals, just
to appease my blood sugar control. I have had one
night where I actually didn't go high from snacking,
but I am still depending on R in shots for high fat
nights in addition to bolusing with the pump--if I do
the shot I don't get high, but I'd like to do that
with teh square wave, but haven't found the trick yet.
 This has become very long. I'm just saying pumping is
very frustrating at times, and some people take months
to adjust (yes, i think i'm one of the slow ones:-0)
but you do learn a lot along the way,and most likely
in the end, everything works out for the best. Venting
is important, I'd probably have gone off the pump if
it weren't for some people on this list who would just
hear me vent and remind me i wasn't alone. It takes
time, but just remember to appreciate the small
things...the sleeping in, the (hopefully) no very
severe hypos anymore, the freedom...
Do You Yahoo!?