: [IP] ready to quit the pump-help

> My husband, 13 year old daughter and I are all really smart, educated and
> motivated people.  She went on the pump in December and our bg numbers
> generally been worse, the stress on all of us is unbelievable, and her A1C
> went from 6.9 to 7.4.  I expect it will be at least this number at the
> appointment.  There has been one problem after another, all resulting in
> bgs.

I understand where you are coming from, this also happened to Eve. Her A1c's
went from 7.3 (Aug. 99) to 9.0 (Nov. 99) in three months. We had eliminated
a lot of her lows, and this made her A1c's go up but,  she also had a lot of
infections during this time. She saw her endo at the end of Feb. and she had
an A1c of 7.4. We didn't stress out about the high A1c b/c we know why it

The pump means more to us than a lower A1c. It means that she can act like a
kid again. When she is high she doesn't have to take a shot (she hated
this), we just bolus her down. We can eat at different times. She can sleep
in on weekends. She can wake up between 80 and 150 (on MDI she was between
300 to 350). I can't believe this, she woke up at 80 this week. It has taken
us a long time to get her basals right and they're still not right, but we
do the best we can. Sometimes nothing works and it is just a growth spurt.
Please don't give up on the pump.

>Then we have to stay up to stabilize her bgs,
>finally go to bed, and often end up with a low in the middle of the night.
>She doesn't wake up until she is as low as 25, recently she almost seizured
>during the night.

Eve also needs more insulin when her head hits the pillow, and less through
the night and more just before she wakes up. This may be the case with you
daughter.    At 8 and 9 p.m. she is at 1.8 and through the night she is at
1.4 and then is 1.6 from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m. When Eve has a lot of exercise we
have to lower her basals a cross the board at night. This will be different
for your daughter, but this works for us.

Deborah mom to Eve 12.5
Dxed 5/3/96 pumping 5/21/99