Re: [IP] ready to quit the pump-help

My husband, 13 year old daughter and I are all really smart, educated and
motivated people.  She went on the pump in December and our bg numbers have
generally been worse, the stress on all of us is unbelievable, and her A1C
went from 6.9 to 7.4.  I expect it will be at least this number at the next
appointment.  There has been one problem after another, all resulting in high
bgs.  She only uses the Siloette, has 3 basel rates during the 24 hour
period, and checks 4-10 times a day.  She tends to nibble a lot, and eats
practically whatever she wants.  In the past week, over half of her bgs have
been over 200;  in spite of close checks of tubing and pump.  She boluses the
right amounts and it takes forever for the insulin to bring down her bgs.
Often, we have to re-bolus to bring bgs down, so we are forever "chasing
numbers" - up until bedtime.  Then we have to stay up to stabilize her bgs,
finally go to bed, and often end up with a low in the middle of the night.
She doesn't wake up until she is as low as 25, recently she almost seizured
during the night.  We switched endo teams right at the time we went on the
pump (another story).  Our new nurse is nice and seems good, but I have
ambivalent feelings towards the new doc who is very good technically- but has
done and said a number of things that make me defensive and guilty.  I think
she assumed (why?) that we weren't making enough of the effort.  I am tired
of the "parent police" attitude with endo teams.  Our daughter has always had
AICs in the 6 range.  This is our first high one at 7.4; and it was on the
pump!  What a disappointment.  It doesn't make sense that we aren't
successful at this.   We believe in the technology and we care so much about
our daughter.  I think we are 2-3 weeks away from quitting, or at  least
taking a break, if things don't get better.  I'm making a round of calls
today to the nurse and others.  Should we take a break from all this, go on
MDI for a few months, and try the pump again in the summer when our daughter
(a new student) is out of school?  We are all loosing sleep from the stress.
Please respond!
A Worn Out Mom